- •This is the first comprehensive study of radiotherapy infrastructure in Iran.
- •There is a significant gap between available facilities for radiation therapy in Iran and international standards.
- •Unequal distribution of equipment restricts access to cancer treatment, remarkably.
- •International economic sanctions endngered cancer treatment, by restrcting access to cobalt-60.
Materials and methods
- World cancer report 2014.World Health Organization, 2014
- The most important causes of death in Iranian population; a retrospective cohort study.Emergency. 2015; 3: 16
Akbari ME. The SBMU Cancer Research Center (CRC). Available at: http://crc.sbmu.ac.ir/?fkeyid=&siteid=148&pageid=12528&newsview=28031. Accessed 11 July 2016 (in Persian).
Hadizadeh M. Iranian Students News Agency. Available at: http://tasalamati.com/e/N75XP/. Accessed 11 July 2016 (in Persian).
- Cancer: the future features in Iran.J Commun Health Res. 2015; 3: 225
International Agency for Research on Cancer. GLOBOCAN 2012: estimated cancer incidence, mortality and prevalence in 2012. Available at: http://globocan.iarc.fr/Pages/burden_sel.aspx. Accessed 15 February 2016.
- Epidemiology and trend of common cancers in Iran (2004–2008).Eur J Cancer Care. 2016; 26https://doi.org/10.1111/ecc.12449
- Cancer epidemiology and trends in Sistan and Baluchestan province, Iran.Med J Islamic Repub Iran. 2015; 29: 254
- Incidence, trends and epidemiology of cancers in north west of Iran.Asian Pac J Cancer Prev. 2015; 16: 7189-7193
- Incidence of cancers in Kuzestan province of Iran: trend from 2004 to 2008.Asian Pac J Cancer Prev. 2014; 15: 8345-8349
- Epidemiology and trend of cancers in the province of Kerman: southeast of Iran.Asian Pac J Cancer Prev. 2015; 16: 1409-1413
- Incidence trend and epidemiology of common cancers in the center of Iran.Glob J Health Sci. 2016; 8: 146
- Overview of national guidelines for infrastructure and staffing of radiotherapy. ESTRO-QUARTS: work package 1.Radiother Oncol. 2005; 75: 349-354
- Radiation oncology discipline inspection project report.2010 (Available at:)http://research.umsu.ac.ir/uploads/radiotherapy.pdf(in Persian)Date accessed: July 11, 2016
- Cancer incidence and mortality in Iran.Ann Oncol. 2009; 20: 556-563
Harirchi I. General Deputy Minister of Health. Available at: http://behdasht.gov.ir/?siteid=1&pageid=1508&newsview=162654. Accessed 20 August 2017 (in Persian).
- Optimal radiotherapy utilisation rate in developing countries: an IAEA study.Radiother Oncol. 2015; 116: 35-37
- Patterns of care in palliative radiotherapy: a population-based study.J Oncol Pract. 2013; 9: e220-e227
- Radiation therapy infrastructure and human resources in low- and middle-income countries: present status and projections for 2020.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2014; 89: 448-457
- Guidelines for equipment and staffing of radiotherapy facilities in the European countries: final results of the ESTRO-HERO survey.Radiother Oncol. 2014; 112: 165-177
- The growth of radiation oncology in mainland China during the last 10 years.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2008; 70: 795-798
- Radiotherapy facilities, equipment, and staffing in Poland: 2005–2011.Rep Pract Oncol Radiother. 2013; 18: 159-172
- Khan's the physics of radiation therapy.Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2014
- Need for radiotherapy in low and middle income countries – the silent crisis continues.Clin Oncol. 2015; 27: 107-114https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clon.2014.10.006
- Global access to radiotherapy in low-and middle-income countries.Clin Oncol. 2017; 29: 99-104
- Planning national radiotherapy services.Front Oncol. 2014; 4: 315https://doi.org/10.3389/fonc.2014.00315
- Planning a radiotherapy department.Clin Oncol. 2017; 29: 105-109
- A national survey of the availability of intensity-modulated radiation therapy and stereotactic radiosurgery in Canada.Radiat Oncol. 2012; 7: 18
- Intensity-modulated radiation therapy use in the US, 2004.Cancer. 2005; 104: 1296-1303