- •Radiotherapy for paediatric cancer can cause long-term adverse normal tissue effects.
- •Radiation damage depends on the radiation dose and volume, and developmental status.
- •For some organs, chemotherapy can exacerbate the effects of radiation.
- •PENTEC seeks to increase knowledge about paediatric radiotherapy dose constraints for organs.
- •Radiation dosimetric data should be precisely reported in paediatric radiotherapy studies.
- Preventing or reducing late side effects of radiation therapy: radiobiology meets molecular pathology.Nat Rev Cancer. 2006; 6: 702-713
- Radiation-related treatment effects across the age spectrum: differences and similarities or what the old and young can learn from each other.Semin Radiat Oncol. 2010; 20: 21-29
- Normal tissue development, homeostasis, senescence, and the sensitivity to radiation injury across the age spectrum.Semin Radiat Oncol. 2010; 20: 12-20
- Chronic health conditions in adult survivors of childhood cancer.N Engl J Med. 2006; 355: 1572-1582
- Late mortality among 5-year survivors of childhood cancer: a summary from the Childhood Cancer Survivor Study.J Clin Oncol. 2009; 27: 2328-2338
- Medical assessment of adverse health outcomes in long-term survivors of childhood cancer.JAMA. 2007; 297: 2705-2715
- Clinical ascertainment of health outcomes among adults treated for childhood cancer.JAMA. 2013; 309: 2371-2381
- The cumulative burden of surviving childhood cancer: an initial report from the St Jude Lifetime Cohort Study (SJLIFE).Lancet. 2017; 390: 2569-2582
- Iso-effect tables for tolerance of irradiated normal human tissues.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 1983; 9: 233-241
- Dose reconstruction for therapeutic and diagnostic radiation exposures: use in epidemiological studies.Radiat Res. 2006; 166: 141-157
- Reconstruction of organ dose for external radiotherapy patients in retrospective epidemiologic studies.Phys Med Biol. 2015; 60: 2309-2324
- Primary thyroid cancer after a first tumour in childhood (the Childhood Cancer Survivor Study): a nested case–control study.Lancet. 2005; 365: 2014-2023
- A review of radiotherapy-induced late effects research after advanced technology treatments.Front Oncol. 2016; 6: 13
- Radiotherapy, alkylating agents, and risk of bone cancer after childhood cancer.J Natl Cancer Inst. 1996; 88: 270-278
- Radiation dose and leukemia risk in patients treated for cancer of the cervix.J Natl Cancer Inst. 1987; 79: 1295-1311
- Second malignant neoplasms in survivors of Wilms' tumor: a report from the National Wilms' Tumor Study.J Natl Cancer Inst. 1988; 80: 592-595
- Genetic effects of radiotherapy for childhood cancer: gonadal dose reconstruction.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2004; 60: 542-552
- Individual radiation therapy patient whole-body phantoms for peripheral dose evaluations: method and specific software.Phys Med Biol. 2009; 54: N375-N383
- Quantifying the position and steepness of radiation dose-response curves.Int J Radiat Biol. 1997; 71: 531-542
- Direct estimation of latent time for radiation injury in late-responding normal tissues: gut, lung, and spinal cord.Int J Radiat Biol. 1989; 55: 27-43
- Late rectal toxicity on RTOG 94-06: analysis using a mixture Lyman model.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2010; 78: 1253-1260
- A methodological issue in the analysis of second-primary cancer incidence in long-term survivors of childhood cancers.Am J Epidemiol. 2003; 158: 1108-1113
- Stature loss following skeletal irradiation for childhood cancer.J Clin Oncol. 1990; 8: 304-312
- Modeling radiation dosimetry to predict cognitive outcomes in pediatric patients with CNS embryonal tumors including medulloblastoma.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2006; 65: 210-221
- Predicting age of ovarian failure after radiation to a field that includes the ovaries.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2005; 62: 738-744
- Long-term risk of subsequent malignant neoplasms after treatment of childhood cancer in the DCOG LATER study cohort: role of chemotherapy.J Clin Oncol. 2017; 35: 2288-2298
- Quantitative Analyses of Normal Tissue Effects in the Clinic (QUANTEC): an introduction to the scientific issues.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2010; 76: S3-S9
Cochrane childhood cancer. Available at: https://childhoodcancer.cochrane.org/.
- A worldwide collaboration to harmonize guidelines for the long-term follow-up of childhood and young adult cancer survivors: a report from the International Late Effects of Childhood Cancer Guideline Harmonization Group.Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2013; 60: 543-549