- •Radiographer-led delivery of radiotherapy services maximises skills mix.
- •Vaginal vault brachytherapy delivered exclusively by radiographers is safe.
- •Despite no image guidance, the 5-year isolated vaginal recurrence rate was only 2.3%.
- •Late bowel and bladder toxicity was minimal.
Materials and methods
- Surgery and postoperative radiotherapy versus surgery alone for patients with stage-1 endometrial carcinoma: multicentre randomised trial. PORTEC Study Group. Post Operative Radiation Therapy in Endometrial Carcinoma.Lancet. 2000; 355: 1404-1411
- A phase III trial of surgery with or without adjunctive external pelvic radiation therapy in intermediate risk endometrial adenocarcinoma: a Gynecologic Oncology Group study.Gynecol Oncol. 2004; 92: 744-751
- Fifteen-year radiotherapy outcomes of the randomized PORTEC-1 trial for endometrial carcinoma.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2011; 81: e631-e638
- Vaginal brachytherapy versus pelvic external beam radiotherapy for patients with endometrial cancer of high-intermediate risk (PORTEC-2): an open-label, non-inferiority, randomised trial.Lancet. 2010; 375: 816-823
- The NHS Cancer Plan: a plan for investment, a plan for reform. Department of Health, 2000
- ESMO-ESGO-ESTRO consensus conference on endometrial cancer: diagnosis, treatment and follow-up.Radiother Oncol. 2015; 117: 559-581
- Ten-year results of the PORTEC-2 trial for high-intermediate risk endometrial carcinoma: improving patient selection for adjuvant therapy.Br J Cancer. 2018; 119: 1067-1074
- The role of vaginal brachytherapy in the treatment of surgical stage I papillary serous or clear cell endometrial cancer.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2013; 85: 109-115
- Adjuvant vaginal cuff brachytherapy for high-risk, early stage endometrial cancer.J Contemp Brachyther. 2014; 6: 262-270
- American Brachytherapy Task Group Report: Adjuvant vaginal brachytherapy for early-stage endometrial cancer: a comprehensive review.Brachytherapy. 2017; 16: 95-108
- Five-year quality of life of endometrial cancer patients treated in the randomised Post Operative Radiation Therapy in Endometrial Cancer (PORTEC-2) trial and comparison with norm data.Eur J Cancer. 2012; 48: 1638-1648
- American Brachytherapy Society consensus guidelines for adjuvant vaginal cuff brachytherapy after hysterectomy.Brachytherapy. 2012; 11: 58-67
- Vaginal brachytherapy for postoperative endometrial cancer: 2014 survey of the American Brachytherapy Society.Brachytherapy. 2016; 15: 23-29
- Dosimetric effects of air pockets around high-dose rate brachytherapy vaginal cylinders.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2010; 78: 276-279
- Brachytherapy in endometrial cancer: quantification of air gaps around a vaginal cylinder.Brachytherapy. 2008; 7: 355-358
- MRI-based evaluation of the vaginal cuff in brachytherapy planning: are we missing the target?.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2016; 95: 743-750
- Vaginal vault brachytherapy in endometrial cancer: verifying target coverage with image-guided applicator placement.Br J Radiol. 2013; 86: 20120428