- •Fulvestrant is licensed for the treatment of hormone receptor-positive advanced breast cancer in postmenopausal women.
- •One of the largest studied patient cohorts treated with fulvestrant, with data collection from nine UK centres.
- •Results confirm a modest radiological response rate even in a predominantly pretreated cohort.
- •Fair access to fulvestrant monotherapy in England should be standard to enable its use in patients most likely to benefit.
Materials and methods
Cancer Research UK. Breast cancer incidence (invasive) statistics. Available at: https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/health-professional/cancer-statistics/statistics-by-cancer-type/breast-cancer/incidence-invasive. Accessed 11 April 2021.
- Fulvestrant in combination with CDK4/6 inhibitors for HER2– metastatic breast cancers.Curr Perspect Breast Cancer. 2020; 12: 45-56https://doi.org/10.2147/BCTT.S196240
- Results of the CONFIRM phase III trial comparing fulvestrant 250 mg with fulvestrant 500 mg in postmenopausal women with estrogen receptor-positive advanced breast cancer.J Clin Oncol. 2010; 28: 4594-4600https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2010.28.8415
- Activity of fulvestrant 500 mg versus anastrozole 1 mg as first-line treatment for advanced breast cancer: results from the FIRST study.J Clin Oncol. 2009; 27: 4530-4535https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2008.21.1136
- Fulvestrant 500 mg versus anastrozole 1 mg for hormone receptor-positive advanced breast cancer (FALCON): an international, randomised, double-blind, phase 3 trial.Lancet. 2016; 388: 2997-3005https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(16)32389-3
- Fulvestrant for untreated locally advanced or metastatic oestrogen-receptor positive breast cancer.2018 (Available at:)https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ta503/chapter/1RecommendationsDate accessed: April 11, 2021
- Cost-effectiveness analysis of fulvestrant 500 mg in endocrine therapy-naïve postmenopausal women with hormone receptor-positive advanced breast cancer in the UK.Pharmacoecon Open. 2019; 3: 559-570https://doi.org/10.1007/s41669-019-0134-3
- Real-world survival outcomes of heavily pretreated patients with refractory HR+, HER2-metastatic breast cancer receiving single-agent chemotherapy – a comparison with MONARCH 1.Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2020; 184: 161-172https://doi.org/10.1007/s10549-020-05838-5
- Prognostic factors predicting survival from first recurrence in patients with metastatic breast cancer: analysis of 439 patients.Breast Cancer Res Treat. 1999; 56: 67-78https://doi.org/10.1023/a:1006285726561
- Plasma ESR1 mutations and the treatment of estrogen receptor-positive advanced breast cancer.J Clin Oncol. 2016; 34: 2961-2968
- Optimal duration of prior endocrine therapy predicts the efficacy of Fulvestrant in a real-world study for patients with hormone receptor-positive and HER2-negative advanced breast cancer.Cancer Med. 2020; 9: 8821-8831https://doi.org/10.1002/cam4.3491
- Early circulating tumor DNA dynamics and clonal selection with palbociclib and fulvestrant for breast cancer.Nat Commun. 2018; 9: 896https://doi.org/10.1038/s41467-018-03215-x
- Palbociclib with an aromatase inhibitor for previously untreated, hormone receptor-positive, HER2-negatuive, locally advanced or metastatic breast cancer Technology appraisal guidance [TA495].2017 (Available at:)https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ta495/resources/palbociclib-with-an-aromatase-inhibitor-for-previously-untreated-hormone-receptorpositive-her2negative-locally-advanced-or-metastatic-breast-cancer-pdf-82605088634821Date accessed: April 11, 2021
- A comparative study of AZD9833 versus fulvestrant in women with advanced ER-positive HER2-negative breast cancer (SERENA-2).2020 (Available at:)https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04214288Date accessed: April 11, 2021
- Clinical management of metastatic breast cancer after CDK4/6 inhibitors: a retrospective single-institution study [abstract].in: San antonio breast cancer symposium; 2018. SABCS, San Antonio, Texas (TX)2018 (Abstract P6-18-09)
- Treatment postprogression in women with endocrine-resistant HR+/HER2- advanced breast cancer who received palbociclib plus fulvestrant in PALOMA-3 [abstract].in: San antonio breast cancer symposium; 2016. SABCS, San Antonio, Texas (TX)2016 (Abstract P4-22-06)
- Alpelisib plus fulvestrant in PIK3CA-mutated, hormone receptor-positive advanced breast cancer after a CDK4/6 inhibitor (BYLieve): one cohort of a phase 2, multicentre, open-label, non-comparative study.Lancet Oncol. 2021; 22 (Erratum in: Lancet Oncol 2021;22(5):e184): 489-498https://doi.org/10.1016/S1470-2045(21)00034-6